Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Yoga Rocks!!

Today is Yoga Day, well Tuesdays and Thursdays are Yoga Days. My mom is actually getting certified to be a yoga instructor and as part of the certification process she has to teach free classes. Since my mom has been doing yoga religiously for quite some time, she's already an excellent teacher, which means Melissa and I get sweet personalized yoga classes for free every week. It's kind of an amazing deal. Also, if it's nice out, we'll do it outside on our deck and I have to say it almost feels like it's working better when you can hear the birds singing and the trees blowing in the wind, very hippie circle of life touchy feely stuff.

I'm not kidding though, yoga is addictive. Melissa and I both admitted to doing it on our own outside of class now. I love Sun Salutes, even when we have to hold Downward Dog, yes, it's just a yoga position, for way too long of a time. You just feel good after yoga class is over, or even now, after my own little practice sessions are over. I am definitely getting more flexible and stronger and seriously, I am/was the weakest person in the world, aside from maybe infants under 3 months. Now I actually feel like I can lift small things, so yoga is doing wonders for me. I really want to take a hot yoga class but I'm afraid I would pass out because I get hot during normal yoga, let alone a class that's over 100 degrees inside! But you supposedly can get into crazy positions when your body's all warm like that, and I'd love to see if I could do some of the positions I can't quite get into now. Right now though, my goal is simply to get my heels all the way down in Downward Dog, sounds small and silly but I will be thrilled when I can do it and I'm so close!

I definitely need to get myself into some yoga classes when I'm back in Chicago. I'm just too used to it now to give it up and it really does chill me out when I'm overwhelmed, hence why it would be good during school. Once I get my Downward Dog right I guess I won't be too nervous to take a real class :)

No comments: