Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I <3 Hairspray!

Melissa and I went to see Hairspray Monday night and as a musical nerd, I was in heaven. The songs are great, in an awesome Broadway kind of way, the dancing is great and I can honestly say there wasn't a character I didn't love. My only small foible with the movie was John Travolta in drag. To be honest, I think he did a great job of embracing the character of Edna, and when he was speaking, he pulled off a decent Baltimore accent to make me forget even further that it was actually John Travolta on the scene. However, when he sang, the accent was gone and it was all John Travolta's voice coming out of that big lady and it freaked me out a little.

I was sooo impressed with Nikki Blonsky, who plays Tracy Turnblad. You would never know she was a newcomer to the business because she did such an amazing job. Zac Efron is obviously adorable, as is James Marsden. Ever since What a Girl Wants, in all it's teeny-bopper glory, I've loved Amanda Bynes, and this was no exception. Seriously everyone was good, even the villains, Michelle Pfeiffer and Brittany Snow. Oh and I have to mention Elijah Kelley, who plays Seaweed. He's one of the few less corny characters in the movie (nothing wrong with corny though) and he was excellent, I really hope he continues to get parts that have him singing and dancing because he was exceptional at both.

This movie was not afraid to be corny, after all, a large portion of it takes place on the set of the Corny Collins Show! No matter what though, the movie sends a great message about accepting people of all sizes, shapes, colors and backgrounds and it is so much fun to watch. I can't wait to own it on DVD, I have a feeling it will be one that I will watch over and over again!

No comments: