Monday, July 23, 2007

My super rockin' weekend!

This weekend was great. First and foremost, it was Jenny's birthday and we had such a good time and it was so fun to see her! We went to Sheffield's which is this awesome bar on Sheffield (weird) that has a great outdoor beer garden and is really chill and fun. Luckily my family friends, the Flynns, happened to be there and so I managed to weasle out of the constant shot-taking by talking to them for awhile and I didn't get to hammered. I can't say the same for the birthday girl, but it was her birthday after all, so she was pretty much required to take them.

I have to say, it's a good thing that I love Jenny so much, and fear her wrath if I had missed anything, because Jenny's birthday (Saturday) was the same day that Harry Potter 7 came out. I got my book late by Potter-fan standards, at 12:30 pm and literally read for 5 hours without stopping, seriously, I took it with me when I had to pee even! Then I had to tear myself away and get ready for Jenny's birthday extravaganza. Still obsessed though, I got home a little after 1 and even in my mildly tipsy state, read HP for another hour. Of course I still wasn't done, being 758 pages and all, so when I woke up in the morning, instead of vegging at my apartment for awhile before heading back to South Bend, I got on the road pretty much immediately and then read until I was done, some of the time at Melissa's pool, thank god I saw some sunlight. Since Danny reads this and I know he's not done, I'm not saying anything about liking or not liking the book. All I will say is that J.K. Rowling is brilliant in how she ties everything together, seriously brilliant. I can't imagine having the attention span to keep track of 7 books worth of information and make it all piece together, hence why I can't do puzzles either.

Also, my other happy thing of the weekend was falling in love with Kelly Clarkson's new album, My December and new artist, Colbie Caillat's album Coco. As far as Miss Kelly is concerned, I had actually purchased her album when it came out and knew that I liked at least 2 songs but didn't really truly listen to the rest of it much at the time. So for my roadtrip, I burned both CDs to listen to in my car and I have to say, anyone who is trashing this album and her talent are completely close-minded. It is definitely not Breakaway, not nearly so poppy, but even though I love pop music, I was so impressed with her growth as a musician. She has great variety on this album, which is clearly a break-up record by the way, and I am sad that people like Perez Hilton, who I usually like, are giving her such a hard time. It's sad that her record label wasn't willing to foster her talent instead of trying to force her into one particular style that wasn't her own. As for Colbie, the iTunes review is true, she is very much like a female Jack Johnson, I love her. Her style is light and pretty and she had a great voice and good lyrics. I would definitely love to see her in concert.

So those are the things that made my weekend grand. Danny's coming in next weekend for his birthday, so I'm sure that weekend will be even better, yay! This summer has been great, and I'm glad I'm ending it on such high notes!

No comments: