Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Things you love

Lately I'm noticing how silly little things that I love, like books or movies or pictures, become new to me again in some little detail every time I see/read/hear them. I guess it's the same with people too. I mean the reason the cliche "falling more in love each day" exists is because when you're in love with someone, you're constantly discovering new things to love about them every day, so it makes sense that teeny bit by teeny bit you love them more because you know there is more to love. So it is with anything that touches you, even movies or songs, just in a much smaller and more shallow way. Here are some examples with a few of my favorite little things:

  • I have this picture of Danny and I on a beach in Ireland. It's a picture I've looked at a thousand times, but it is such a beautiful photo because the light is behind us and our faces and bodies are kind of dark, but not dark enough that you can't see how happy we look. Our hair is all wind blown and we have big smiles on our faces. But I think my new favorite part is the way our heads are tilting toward each other, letting just a little bit of sunshine in between us.
  • I'm a huge Sex and the City fan and I watch the DVDs all the time, just at random. I was just watching the "I love NY" episode when Big is leaving for Napa and I was noticing all the discussion and reference to the end of summer and the beginning of fall in the episode, from actual dialogue, to the bright autumn red color of Brady's hair when he's born to the coat Carrie wears in golds and oranges and reds. This episode was their subtle homage to 9/11 and it's so interesting to think of that time immediately following that significant day as a new season, a little darker and a little colder.
  • "Till Kingdom Come" by Coldplay is one of my very favorite songs. It's always been the chorus that I've loved so much, but it came on the other day on my iPod and it was the first lyrics that made me think a little more. "Steal my heart/and hold my tongue/I feel my time/my time has come." It's those moments when someone takes away your ability to say anything. It doesn't happen for me very often, I'm a talker, but Danny does it to me sometimes. It feels so important to be in a moment that you don't want to break with saying something. It's wonderful.
It's nice to write about things that have made me think or moved me lately. It's nice to not forget them.

No comments: